Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Vandercation, My Animal Magnetism, and Jon's a Bone Daddy

As of late, we are spending a lot of time in A-town. Angela's town. Austin. Which I love. It's Nor Cal pretty down here, and we get to spend time with the VanderWerken family. Jon has a project down here that has required above and beyond the regular amount of supervision. So, tired of being a single mom, a desperate housewife as it were, the family and I are tagging along. On the expense account. Which is fun in so many ways...except for my waistline. Who can say 'no' to free food?
Anyway, we've been hanging with the VDWs...who have a bunny. The girls insisted that the bunny sit on my lap. I insisted that my luck was such that the bunny would pee on me. The bunny - whose official name is Blue Bonnet and whom Calvin officially calls Blue Butt - was enjoying its time there when I felt a warm, wet sensation on my lap. Angela was dying of embarrassment - which was funny in itself - and told me that the bunny only peed on people she really liked? Or had a lot of female hormones? Some such. I concluded that it must be my animal magnetism.
We've also 'enjoyed' a 'lovely' dinner at Luby's. Yes, I'm being facetious. As a general rule, I avoid restaurants - or any place for that matter - that rhyme with boobies. The real highlight was that the kids avoided knocking over any one of the 34 people with walkers. But we have pix, and that's what's fun.
All this talk about Luby's rhymes reminds me of a really funny story about a restaurant called Bone Daddy's... Imagine, if you will, a family outing including Jon, his mom, his dad, my mom, my dad, our 3 impressionable young children, and myself. We decide to go to lunch at a BBQ restaurant recommended to Jon by some 'guys at work'. All NINE of us walk in to the restaurant behind Jon to find scantily-clad (Hooter's on steroids) waitresses sauntering about the place. And, since we're in Dallas, they're inked up to the nines. Which Lucy quickly and kid-screetly points out. Jon, blushing all shades of red, quietly suggests that we try another establishment. My mom and I, desperately trying to recover from the humor of this ironic situation, firmly state that we must eat here. After all, it is JON'S recommendation, and as we all know, Jon walks on water with his and my folks. Highlights include: Lucy's learning what a 'tramp stamp' is; pictures of the grandpas with the waitress; an eternal fountain of Jon's embarrassment;
and really good food.

2 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

I wish I could have been at Bone Daddys just to see the faces on you all! Awesome.

Anonymous said...

OH MY! Nothing says TEXAS like "Bone Daddys" and Lubys! And tramp stamps...hehehehe. Very nice "teachable moment by the way" but where are these pictures??? Your fans want to know!

BTW, I'm so glad reading these is like a great chat with you!! Missing you much from VA!
Lori