Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Motherhood Nirvana

Is there a such thing as 'guilt-free mommying'? I want to know. Share your stories. Inspire me. Please? Because from where I'm sitting, it looks like the Holy Grail of Mommyhood!
At least I have the good fortune of choosing between 2 good options: specific summer activities in DFW vs. being together as a family in Austin. Sigh. Swim team, martial arts, swim lessons, flute, film-making (yes, film-making)...gone. Or rather foregone. Paid for...and foregone.

Of course, ingratiating ourselves into the VanderWerken family has certainly made coming to Austin a great time... I just hope that what my kids remember is all the Ohana and the value we placed on togetherness...not the missed classes or playdates...or the hour we spent at Verizon Wireless getting mommy a new phone. What can I say? I got sick of my texts getting punked.

1 comment:

Allie said...

Oh just you wait... I am contemplating finally writing a motherhood confessional. Should it ever become published, I will need people to support that I actually am a good parent who loves her kids, because social services will most likely misinterpret many passages... My periods of absence from the world of blogging has more to do with how I can possibly make what happens in my home seem normal or responsible. We had Stanley Steemer come last Monday and yesterday Zack emptied a tube of sunblock into the carpet. You know the lyrics, "I fought the law and the law won"? Well, my theme song these days is a variation of that "I fought the kids and the kids won" I don't think we'll be moving to Texas anytime soon, but I'm hoping to score a trip to visit for my 30th birthday in October.