Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Multi-tasking Birthday

How does a time-crunched mom get ready for a lunch date with a hungry toddler running around? Watch and learn...from the white trash academy.

It's a good thing I went to the gym today with mom-pick-up friend because two friends of mine, Heidi and Jessica, spoiled me with lunch today at Brio's, where I made a fool of myself, but more on that later...(or never). Among other things, we (not Calvin) discussed my two favorite subjects: religion and politics...ok, ok, and some fashion/home decor.
Later, the fam and I opened presents...with Mackey handing me all of my gifts (mostly [ahem] scented candles from the dollar store) from inside the gift bag. Which I loved. Totally respecting that I don't love cake but love food, my parents took us all out to a family-friendly dinner at Pei Wei's.
But the real coup de foudre was coming home (after hustling free stuff from our home builder no less!) and finding a package from Jon on my doorstep. Jon has a pretty good gift-giving record barring a few missteps: our first Christmas yielded windshield wipers - no kidding - and a hand-painted card that was still dripping wet and the 'unusually practical' gift of a Roomba for Valentine's day.
But today, Jon sent me the most precious gift of effort. Knowing how I liked a shirt at JCrew, he looked for a mall in Austin where he's traveling right now (I can only imagine how painful that was for him), went there, bought the shirt, and overnighted it to me so I'd have it - if not him - on my birthday. Please know this about my husband: he DETESTS the great and spacious building (the mall), and he is SERIOUSLY frugal, so I can only imagine what the over-nighting cost him emotionally. Ok, but it only gets better. He asks me how I like the shirt and if it's the right one. I'm trying like CRAZY to avoid telling him that it's the wrong one, but he keeps persisting. Finally, I say that I love it, and that I really liked the polos as well. Yada, yada, yada, he offered TO GO BACK and get me the polos, too...and, of course, I didn't want him to feel disappointed...
Good food, good company, phone calls from friends, surprise cookies, JCREW...ahhh. It's been a nice birthday.

6 comments:

Jason said...

The Roomba is the greatest device ever invented!!

We just picked up the Scooba (mopping Roomba) to mop the kitchen floors and aside from going through 'Scooba Juice' like it was candy I'd never give the thing up.

Tanya said...

Hey, Happy Birthday!!
I'm glad you had a fun day!!

Jessie said...

Happy Birthday Friend! Sounds like a great day!

Jodie said...

I loved our chat last night and I love even more that your sweet hubby would totally enter the "great and spacious building" and then enter J Crew on his own free will and choice. You did good girl!

Heidi said...

You seriously put Calvin in the tub to eat a bar while you showered?! You are AWESOME!

Heidi said...

You seriously put Calvin in the tub to eat a bar while you showered?! You are AWESOME!