Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Anniversarial Top 5

Jon and I just celebrated 14 years of marriage...the day after my birthday. What a rip-off, right? This poor date selection was the inspiration behind 'Happy October'...a semi-annual celebration of all things retail...but I digress.
We just celebrated 14 years...which is really close to 15 years...which is even closer to 20 years. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. Time flies. He's the best thing that ever 'happened' to me, and here's why:
5. Jon is Old-School: He knows how to do EVERYTHING. He can fix and/or build anything. He's the last of a dying breed of man that understands how things work, why, and can do it himself.
4. Jon is a Renaissance Man: He knows a lot about a lot of different things...depth and breadth. He's the kind of dad that will always have an intelligible response for his children. The real world, science, math, religion, politics, values, books, home decor...just ask him.
3. Jon knows how to cook. He can wing a recipe, create his own, and clean up to boot. Although I miss the now-mythical Eggplant Parmesan (bunk recipe) and Gnocchi from our courtship, it's almost enough for me to know that he could make it...if he wanted to.
2. Jon is a hands-on, no-wusses-allowed, diaper-changing, get-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-with-kids, throw-up-cleaning, tummy-tickling, bike-riding-teaching DAD. He couldn't be married to a 'prima donna' like myself if he wasn't! Although we often employ a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy regarding daddy-supervised time, he doesn't freak out about being with our kids. He never 'babysits'...he parents.
1. Jon is a good man who adores me with his kind, generous, humorous, and self-sacrificing ways. A couple of days ago, I turned to my husband and asked him if he ever remembered criticizing me (and BELIEVE ME, I provide some really good material). There have been times we haven't agreed, that we've fought, etc...but I couldn't for the life of me remember a time when he'd flat-out criticized me. What a great memory not to have! What a great measure of a man. I love this guy! He's a keeper!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Congrats... and, wow! Does he teach classes to other males (husbands) in the area?

Jessica said...

Happy B-day and Happy Anniversary!

Jessie said...

Congrats! That's a long time!
He is a good man! I love that he knows how to fix stuff! You lucked out on that one!

Jodie said...

TOTAL KEEPER and so are YOU!

Tanya said...

Wait, you like The Holiday too? (Just read it in your side bar). So that officially makes two girly movies I am aware you've seen and loved. 27 dresses, and now The Holiday!

Happy anniversary!