Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Walmart - The Freaks Come Out at Night

walmart, but not just ANY walmartWhen I lived in VA, I didn't go to Walmart. Because it was scary. My friend, Jenn Mangum told me that SHE didn't go there either because whenever she did, random people yelled at her or (no kidding) threw up on her. In Texas, I go grocery shopping at Walmart; I don't like it, but I do it. It's close to the apartment, and it's cheap. Unfortunately for me, I wind up going after 9 pm when my children are in bed. And, as anyone who has been in a Walmart after 9 pm knows, the freaks come out at night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLYC7ltxOrk.

Case in point (and I am NOT making this up): My kids were all home sick today, so I wanted to go running at the gym tonight after they went to bed - just to get out. Afterwards, I went to the aforementioned Walmart to pick up some bread, milk, and other sundries. I get my groceries; and no matter where I'm at, I cannot resist looking at clothes. So, I'm checking out some little boy t-shirts in the children's department. Some young-ish guy (shopping for little kid clothes, too?) looks at me, smiles, and says something. I'm kind of deaf, so, stepping closer, I politely ask him to repeat himself. He says something again. He's so darn quiet, so, again, I ask him to repeat himself. Seriously, this goes on two more times. I really don't hear very well, especially if there's a lot of other environmental noise...like in a Walmart at 10 pm when people go shopping with all of their extended family and children in tow. But anyway, I finally hear him: "Are you interested in a one-time fling?" Huh? Me? I'm shopping for kids clothes?! I was so embarrassed! I half laughed, half turned away and said, "No thank you." No thank you. Who says NO THANK YOU?! As I'm walking away, I think of all the things I SHOULD have said. One, in particular: "Um, seriously, has that ever worked before?" (Ever the curious sociologist.) So, please weigh in: what should I have said? What would you have said? Remi, my dear, quick-witted friend, I want to hear from you, too!!!!

6 comments:

Jason said...

Was he wearing this shirt?

http://www.tshirtoutlet.com/lh105.html

Rachael said...

Ok, that was dirty. I had to google what that meant, thank you very much. But, yeah, maybe he's that version of Jerry Springer.

Anonymous said...

Did you tell on him?

T

The Carlsons said...

R-these are the drawbacks of being so hot!!!! I honestly don't know what I would have said but but I think you said something very normal. A

Rachael said...

Yeah, hot. No, I think it was that I got caught in the vector of his total beer goggles. Who else but a totally inebriated individual would actually say something like that?

Unknown said...

He was completely stunned by your awesome beauty. I wouldn't have said anything. I would have LAUGHED at him out loud. Then I would have left... but hindsight is 20/20. Who know what I would have done in your shoes!!

But don't you feel good? You STILL have it!!