Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Milepebbles...not so much stones

So, cutie patootie (as much as it galls me to quote ANYTHING Rosie O'Donnell) Calvin had a very belated 15 month check up today. Man, do I feel like a slacker mom http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6960732/site/newsweek/ or http://www.slacker-moms-r-us.com/!

Here's the list of questions that were answered by brief, uncomfortable silence:
  • RN: Is he walking? ME: Uh...well...he climbs...like Spiderman. Does that count? Have you seen his thighs? You'd have a hard time moving those things around, too!

  • RN: How many words does he have? At least 5-10, right? ME: Words...words? He really likes to point out balls...Oh! And mom. Er... How many did you say he should have?

  • RN: How many servings of vegetables does he eat a day? (Really long pause - I barely cook in the apartment) ME: Servings a DAY? Or a WEEK?

  • RN: What animals does he know? ME: Well, there's Yoda and then there's Chewbacca, but I'm not sure they have patent 'sounds'. Well, Chewbacca does. I actually think that he's skipped the whole 'animal thing'...

I'm laying this all squarely at the feet of...my children. They baby the baby. He barely has to talk to get what he wants, let alone move. And then there's the whole 'in transition'.

The (really great, by the way) RN ended the appointment with: "Well, don't hesitate to call to schedule an appointment if you get worried about his development."

5 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

I just had a similar appt. with Soren - where they asked my newly four year old if he new his phone number and address. (Uh - could we get him to know numbers first)

The Carlsons said...

that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time!!!! I love the running commentary. I guess in the land of superbabies that they should be finishing college by the time they are 10. What have things come too?

Anonymous said...

Man, is that kid cute.
Oh, and you are sooo funny.

Theresa

Rachael said...

I just bask in the fact that I didn't flunk the Adam Ant question: Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do? Hurray me! No smoking, no alcohol, no drugs! Oh, nd I don't either...

Unknown said...

Jajajaja! Rachael -- you are just too funny. Don't worry about it. Stupid milestones. They made us "evaluate" Javier with the county because he wasn't talking at the sweet age of 2... not even 10 words! Now he won't stop.