Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Luciella Bella

I've gotten so accustomed to Lucy's awesomeness that sometimes I overlook it. I totally take her independence, intelligence, and responsibility for granted. These are her latest, most massively impressive feats:
1) This morning, Lucy was telling me about a boy in her class who teases her when she goofs up something or has a clumsy moment (by her own admission gives him plenty of opportunity). She told me that it embarrasses her. We discussed several different ways of handling the situation; one being a direct approach. The one major roadblock to addressing him privately is that he ALWAYS hangs out with this other boy. If she asked to speak to Adam in private, she feared the whole 3rd grade assumption of romance. As she got of the car for school, I wasn't sure what, if anything, she'd decided to do.
After school, she was telling me about her day.
Lucy: "oh yeah, I talked to Adam today. It was no big deal. He won't bother me anymore."
Me: OH MY GOSH!!! What a brave girl I have!!! "WOW! Tell me about it!"
Lucy: "I just asked him if I could talk to him before recess in private. I asked him if he knows how he teases me when I trip and stuff. He said 'yeah'. I just told him that it embarassed me and asked him to please stop. He said 'ok'. Can I make some Chinese food?"
She's amazing. That takes guts. She's just awesome. She's one of those kids that doesn't need 'the crowd'. Not yet, at least. And I sure hope it stays that way.
Next.
2) Chinese food. She has this culture report that she needs to have the food for in school tomorrow. As I'm flying solo and up to my eyeballs in whiney boys, we talked about recipes that she could do on her own. She picked one out. We picked up the extra ingredients. And...THAT KID MADE COCONUT RICE. ALL ON HER OWN. Stove top, measuring, the whole nine yards. I'm not 100% sure I'd done something like that in college, let alone elementary.
She's just pure awesomeness.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Wwo, she is awesome! I know for sure I wouldn't have approached the boy in the same, adult-like manner. I probably would have pulled his hair. And as for cooking, I still have never attempted coconut rice.

Rachel said...

She does sound awesome...and the way she talked to that boy is a direct reflection of your parenting...so, whats your secret? How do you create such bold, amazing children??? Tell me, tell me!!