Friday, February 15, 2008

Sociology and the Multicultural Valentines

A picture would have been worth a thousand words here...
Anyone who knows my lovely Lucy, knows that she is: decisive, pleasantly headstrong, thoughtful and kind, observant, and very, VERY intelligent. Too intelligent for me to keep up with. Really.
Firstly, rewind to February 13th...the day before Valentine's. Trying to be the Kool-Aid mom, I prepped a simple, sweet homemade Valentine assembly that I thought Lucy would enjoy (at least it got used for Mackey's class!). Alas, no. She'd been working on Valentines at school in her spare time. What she shows me sends politically incorrect shivers up and down my spine - how jaded of me, right? What she had done, in her sweet innocent observance, is cut out pictures of people (or in some cases animals - you know, cute ones like puppies and horses) from magazines that reminded her of kids in her class. Recognize that the demographic make up of her class is multiculturally similar to her first grade class in DC metro/No VA. So, having spent a decade on the east coast, all I can think of are law suits and channel 7. But, breathe in, breathe out, she only has the kindest intentions, so I let her run with it. Yep. You read correctly. I let her pass out her good-intentioned, personalized Valentines. In my head, (is this justification?), I was telling myself that this could be one of those negatively defining moments if I usurped her power. That it wasn't fair for me to project my PC virus (get the double entendre?) onto her.
Part of understanding my freak-fest is understanding how messed up political correctness has made me...et al. The other part would be evident to anyone who could've been a fly on the wall on the way home from East Deliverence, Texas. Lucy and I stop at a Taco Bell (not my usual faire). As we're pulling away, she asks me - and this is almost as dicey as the sex talk - why it seems that a lot of people who work in fast food restaurants are minorities. Her words, not mine. Do you see what kinds of questions I'm fielding? We then proceeded to discuss all sorts of aberrations, social issues, education, and the role of government in the lives of the people it governs. Sigh.
She's SEVEN. It was all just a little too much observance for me in one week. However, after catching my breath, I am grateful that she is the awesome kid that she is.

6 comments:

Jodie said...

Rachael,sorry to point out to you the obvious: intelligent mom ='s intelligent daughter!!She is going to be her mom, she will make everyone's life a little brighter by being in it. I always say that everyone needs a Rachael in their life and the same will be for your little clone. I am just curious about what animals she gave to what friends. AS long as I wasn't given a donkey, I think I could see the positive in any other animal!
Lucy you rock!

Allie said...

Maddie made me a bit nervous with her home made valentines as well. She wrote a different poem inside for each person. My favorite was one that reminded me of a fortune cookie fortune: "This is not a time for meanness, this is not a time for fights. This is instead a time for happiness and delights." However, in all honesty, I'm sure the valentines Lucy gave out went over fine. When my kids valentines come home I just scan for candy or pencils, etc and chuck the cards.

Jonathan F said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Jon F

You somehow failed to mention that most of the pictures that Lucy found come from news magazines and the 'Osama' valentine for one of the middle eastern kids. I am fairly sure that is not PC.....even in Texas

Rachael said...

Thanks for pointing that out honey!

The Carlsons said...

Ok, I had a huge smile on my face until I read John's comment that made me burst out laughing....come on you have to give the good details to make your point...I was thinking animals....got lots of those in the store bought valentines...now I see the issue. Let's just say you have your hands full....for the rest of your life. a