Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Girlfriends and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Unless you are my friend named Allie Burton, you wouldn't possibly believe that all of these things could happen to one person, in one day, before 2 pm.

Ironically, I'm on my knees praying for patience (of all things) when God decides to test out how serious I am about developing this desparately needed attribute. Needless to say, I failed miserably because I've been tested ALL DAY LONG.

7:00 am: Crash. "Mom, Lucy dropped something." Less than MOTY award exchange(s) with Lucy. I spend the next (no kidding) HOUR cleaning up a Costco size glass jar of soy sauce while getting preschooler, baby, and mommy ready to leave for preschool. My house still smells faintly of a Chinese restaurant.

8:10 am: Calvin dumps breakfast...this is par for the course. Although unphased, I'm asking myself why in the world I went to college if my life's task is to clean.

9:00 am: We are VERY late for preschool.

9:30 am: I am VERY late for my gym class and decide to drop something off at UPS. The culmination of the morning's events plus my declining mental accuity over the past (how old is Lucy?) 7 years is taking it's toll. I seriously can't for the life of me figure out how many $.41 stamps to use to make $2.35. The UPS kid takes pity on me and says, "uh, ma'am? It's 6 stamps." Thanks (braintrust).

9:45 am: Finally get to gym. Great work out on the hamster wheel.

11:15 am: Decide that I want to bring Lucy something at lunchtime. (It will make her day...mine, too.)

11:42 am: Arrive at school two minutes too late for Lucy's lunch. Sigh. Barge into her class so she knows that I was thinking of her. Probably less than endearing to teacher.

1:20 pm: Clean Calvin's second DISASTROUS meal mess - junk on the walls that even the dog couldn't get to, people. He's almost unrecognizable behind the potroast, oatmeal, and yogurt, so I pop him into my tub so I can finish getting ready to pick Mackey up from preschool.

1:38 pm: Running a little late to pick Mackey up, I discover that while Calvin has been enjoying a bath, he decided to relieve his bowels. Yes, into my beautiful, clean tub. He is bathing in his own feces.

1:42 pm: After a proliferation of words that one might find in the Bible, the pest control guy is at my door to 'take care of' the mouse in the garage. More on that later.

1:48 pm: We run out the door almost shutting it on the pest control guy!!!

At this point, I'm still having a bit of a pity party for myself - I don't know why. It really isn't that big of a deal; I have just had a really, really bad attitude. So, I felt like I c/should call a particular friend of mine. A brief 10 minute conversation with her brightened my day, gave me perspective, and ultimately made all the difference in the world. Thank you, Jodie.

I'm happy to report that my day got fantastic...but I still went out for dinner. I just couldn't see cleaning up after one more mess! After Pei Wei, I took Lucy to the rockclimbing wall, and we had a blast.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Rach so sorry! What a day! You will read back on y our blog one day and laugh.....
Oh and for the record I would never be embarrassed to ride in your mini van!
Miss those trader joe days!

Allie said...

Hallelujah! I am not alone in this world after all. I swear, kids can kill you! I am beginning to believe that the mothers who died in child birth were truly the ones that God took pity on knowing full well their kids would test them far beyond what they could bear. Well, while I am grateful for my children/the faith God has in me, I have had many a day like this. I am reluctantly becoming a very, very patient woman. When Fast Sunday finds you fasting for ways to teach your children reverence so you can perhaps stay through sacrament meeting in the chapel without a major scene coming from your angelic hellions, well...welcome to my world... I laughed so hard at this post!

Heidi said...

Okay, I'm sure you weren't laughing through your day, but I sure laughed reading about it!! Here's to other people's misfortunes--- it always makes me feel better about mine!

Heidi