Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wise and Mature and Facebook

...both of which I am not. But my folks are.
So, I just had the most surreal experience of the day.
My parents are over with their BFFs from the Cali hood. Please understand that my parents are...um...ADVANCED in their years...like 70s and 80s, and they look FANTASTIC...(in case they're reading...). Not exactly spring chicks. So we're all chatting away, and my dad has a newish phone (many premature phone deaths by toilet) that I haven't checked out yet. I'm mocking him, ever so gently, about how lame it is that he, a technophile, doesn't get instant email notifications from Facebook (I'd posted something timely on his wall that he missed). So he comments on how he'll check his Facebook... Two things happen at once: 1) I remember a conversation I'd had with a significantly younger person about how weird it is that so many older people (referring to me - the nerve) use a college-inspired communication platform, and 2) the family friend remarks: "You get Facebook on that phone?"
It was so weird.
And then...if I think about it any more and make it totally not funny? I think about how of course there is a disproportionate number of older people on Facebook because they (notice how I didn't use "we") make up a greater segment of the population. Duh. And then I think about the first edition of The World is Flat when they talk about the internet as ubiquitous technology that levels communication barriers. Who knew those things would converge on FACEBOOK. I just got a randomly geeky chuckle out of the whole thing.

No comments: