Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Significance of 20 Miles in the Rain

Thanks to a fantastic running friend, I no longer run 20 miles on a treadmill. Thanks to the same fantastic running friend, I now run 20 miles outside...in the rain. Which was actually great; I'm not knockin' it. There's something addictive about knowing your body can rise to a challenge through injury, insomnia, poor food choices (anyone say 'nachos'?) and rain. Yet this affirmation is not what is significant about yesterday's run. No. The CONVERSATION is.
Some of the people in the group know that I'm running a Boston qualifying race in Midland/Odessa on October 3rd, so we were talking about it...among other things over 3 hours...
James: "Are you planning to fly out?"
Me: "What are you talking about? It's (like) 2 hours from here?!"
James (laughing): "Uh...no it's not. It's closer to 8..."
Me: "Huh? What? Whoops..."
So...I'm new(ish) to Texas...and apparently to Thinking as well. Why would I not CHECK such a detail? Ugh. I SWEAR I used to be smarter than this.
Thankfully Jon is accustomed to such oversights on my part, and we'll adjust our travel plans accordingly.

3 comments:

Allie said...

Wow, that's awesome that you are trying to get to Boston! I run in the rain all the time, when I forget my umbrella and need to get from my parking spot to the store. Twenty miles in the rain is more than I can bear at this point, but good for you! Texas is a mighty big state. I'm glad you learned a month out about the 2 vs 8 hour travel difference. That sounds like church talk material, I'm sure there is a good analogy in there somewhere.

Rachael said...

Allie! Well, that running comment is better than most I get...the only time they run is when someone is chasing them with a knife...
Didn't you and Ben do Disney or something???

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "rock on".
Tell me how it turns out.
Theresa
You go girl!