Saturday, April 18, 2009

Starter Kit Style Essentials







Be forgiving...my mojo is a little off since my head wasn't 100% in the game. As always, dear friends near and far, any style questions you can pose would be greatly appreciated. And, btw? Love the Big Star jeans...in a darker rinse.

Since last week focused more on ‘please do nots’, this week’s advice centers around the ‘please dos’ of four style essentials. There are certain things a woman’s closet is naked without: a great pair of jeans, a white shirt (or two), a little black dress, and a car coat. For starters. Having these ‘tools’ at your wardrobing disposal will build a great foundation for you (and your closet).
Jeans: find a pair of boot cut jeans in a dark rinse with 1-3% spandex long enough that you cannot see your ankle bones (longer with heels). Make sure the back pockets are relatively big, centered closer to the middle seam vs. the side seams, and a little lower on your toosh. Trust me. It’s a backside miracle if you’re looking to minimize. Flap pockets help balance out a hiney that’s flatter than Nebraska.
White shirt: For t-shirts, get cotton with a little bit of stretch. If you like 100% cotton, the ‘perfect fit’ t-shirt at JCrew has micro-ribs that keep its shape. I personally prefer a ballet (boat) neck with three quarter sleeves. For blouses, go tailored with three quarter or long sleeves, buttons down the front, and a crisp collar. Again, personal preference, I like a mandarin collar with subtle detail for flair.
Little black dress: this is me in a rare cave to social pressure. I don’t much care for black, but it is versatile. A well-tailored sheath dress in a structured fabric is good for straighter figures or an a-line in a variety of fabrics if you’re dressing curves. My favorite black dress is stretchy wool with short sleeves and a subtle cowl neck. I don’t wear it a ton, but I’m glad it’s in my closet when I need it.
Car coat: this is a nice way of saying you need good outer wear so as not to spoil your outfit. Consider length, material, color, and lapel when purchasing a coat. A good length for petites is upper mid-thigh and longer for their taller counter-parts. Wool always looks nice, and mercerized cotton is a great alternative for warmer weather or layering. While I prefer camel or navy, black is a perfect basic. Lastly, decide if you prefer a coat that buttons all the way up or a notched lapel.
No one wants a naked closet, so wear this instead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock!

Theresa

Rachel said...

Love it....I was going to ask you about this very thing!