Friday, April 3, 2009

Budunka-dunka and Other Workout Wear

Newest post for the stylistically challenged. Hitting up my fave subject: sports bras. See below. Also...looking for topics for the next couple of weeks. Help??? I only have one subscriber through the newspaper's website with no other questions from g-pop forthcoming. For those of you unfamiliar with inappropriate prison movies or cop shows, 'g-pop' is general population.
Today’s topic is a little touchy but near and dear to my heart. Literally. Sports bras and other gym attire.
A friend asked me about workout wear specifically wanting to know where she could wear gym clothes after she left the gym. This particularly fit friend can wear whatever she wants wherever she wants. Sigh. For the rest of us, there are some guidelines. Ok, for her, too, to prevent car crashes or husband smacks. Consider the typical errand-sphere of most suburban inhabitants: Target, schools, lunch, mall, groceries, and kid games. As a rule of thumb, gym clothes will suffice anywhere you will push a cart, eat with a menu on the wall, and cheer little kids. By default, extended trips to the mall – no one wants you to try things on all sweaty – and school visits are a no-no. With a caveat. If you are dropping off, fine. If you are sticking around, make sure you’re dressed to the standard that the school expects of its students.
On another note, think about conventional gym attire. Obviously you don’t need to dress to impress; however, the best thing I ever did to lose 35 pounds was get decent workout-specific clothes. Like a uniform, I take my exercise more seriously when I wear clothing specific to the task at hand…not something I’d clean my floors in.
While I’m at it, I feel compelled – no, OBLIGATED – to address the issue of workout bras. I am so evangelical about a certain brand of exercise bra that I should get an endorsement from them. Seriously, people have stopped me from offering ‘free consultations’ to strangers. In my not so humble opinion, no other bra does a better job keeping your chest in one place than Enell. Google it or visit Run On in McKinney. Admittedly, it is ugly. It is my sacrifice to vanity’s altar. But do you know what it is really ugly? Budunka-dunka. There’s not even a word for that awful bounce; just a sound effect. It is so vulgar to see a woman running or jumping or whatever with all of her femininity all over the place – no matter how much you paid for them. I’m not just talking about busty women either. Smaller sizes need to keep it together, too. If you don’t already have one, do yourself, no, do us all a favor, and pick one up.

5 comments:

Maria said...

That bra looks like some serious armor. Good thing I don't have much to keep in place.

Brooke said...

I've never heard of that brand of sports bra, but I totally agree that the right gear can be key. Who is inspired to go work-out when they have to wear something that makes them look like a frumpy man? Conversely, sometimes I wish I could tell women at the gym that we don't need to see every bit of their business. Can't we all strike a balance between looking like a man and looking like a stripper??

I will get off of my soap box now.

Tanya said...

I love it!! Hilarious, instructive, and all true!

Anonymous said...

I really shouldn't comment, but I can't resist - these remind me of a line from the classic movie "meatballs" (classic meaning - I thought it was hysterical when I was in late jr. high and now I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want my kids watching it).
Bill Murray is dancing with a woman and says "Is that a bra you're wearing, or are you expecting an assassination attempt?"

ps. you might want to patent the word "budunka-dunka." could make you rich...

Rachael said...

Well, seeing as you show up as 'anonymous', you should feel free to comment. I can only guess that you must be a guy. But I'm not 100% sure. Hmmm...will you out yourself??? Inquiring minds and all...