Monday, March 30, 2009

Mackey, Always Mackey...Unless It's Calvin

Sigh. Picture if you will all the kindergarteners running excitedly to see their moms after a long day at school. Not Mackey. Not today. He has the dejected look of a boy who got in trouble at school. Which makes me sad. So I hug him and reassure him that things can't be that bad while we wait to talk with his teacher (yeah, this is really me talking about one of my kids...spooky, isn't it?). In the course of waiting, it becomes evident that Mackey accidentally (that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it) used an inappropriate word in class. (How red am I?) Mid-choke, Mrs. Cole is ready for me.
So as not to embarrass the poor fella (which is code for 'not embarrassing me'), we walk off to speak in private. It goes a little something like this:

Mrs. C: "Did he tell you what happened?"

Me: "Uh...yeah. He did. And, frankly, I'm a little surprised. We don't use that phrase. I mean, well, maybe the word, you know, in, like, a Biblical sense."

Mrs. C: "I can see that. This wasn't Biblical. But I don't think he knew what he was saying when he said (wait for it...wait for it...) 'What the hell?' to a friend."

Let me tell, that is NOT a proud parenting moment. I know, I know. A lot of you were nominating me for MOTY anyway, but this might be a deal-breaker. And you know what's so lame? I don't even say that. Ever. But I have my suspects as to who does.

Please note that this is coming off the tails of a 'shirtless' fiasco at the end of primary yesterday. Sweet. He storms the primary room where I'm finishing up with JUST HIS SWEATER VEST ON holding his button-down in his hands. After putting my eyeballs back in my head, I tell him to go put his shirt back on RIGHT NOW. To which he responds, "...but mom, I was hot." Smiles (very proud of himself) and walks off.

That kid.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh he could have said worse Rach! He is a good kid and I can just picture him with only the vest on! He is stylin just like his mom! :)

Allie said...

That's hilarious!

What honestly is so bad about the word Hell? I mean we can say "For Heaven's sake" but we do not take the lord's name in vain. We can say "Speak of the devil" but we can't say Hell...

Brooke said...

I am concerned that the comment above mine is of my sister justifying a cursing kindergartner, let me set the record straight my family did NOT use that expression either. Perhaps Allie has gotten a little lax with what lingo jives at her house...

I am totally kidding, I think that your story is hilarious! If only we could control our children's behavior. Today Bracken tried to smuggle a popsicle out of a play date by sticking it down his pants, he had never been to that friends house before and I'm not sure he will be invited back...where did these children come from?

Maria said...

Hey, sometimes it just needs to be said. Too bad it happened to be in front of a teacher.