Saturday, March 21, 2009

Charlie Brown's Mardi Gras

I was a bit under the gun for deadline this time...for no other reason than procrastination. So, this is the stuff of very little sleep and about 2 and a half hours punctuated with 'mom, can I...?' or 'mom, Lucy did...' or 'honey, does...?'

This week, we need not rely on my style musings. Alas, there have been inquiries about accessories. Most notably, these: “How about accessories? What is going overboard and looking like Mardi Gras?” and “I'm unsure about how much to wear, matching vs. coordinating, and being afraid I look like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.”
Well inquired, ladies. First, let’s define accessories: jewelry, hair adornments, belts, purses, small dogs, etc. In the interest of space, let’s chat jewelry. Thanks to home jewelry parties and rap videos, people over-accessorize. Please don’t. There’s a better way. One need only consider two things about jewelry: placement and scale.
Think of jewelry as belonging in three distinct places: ears, neck, and wrists. Not ankles. Not toes. And certainly not belly buttons (no matter how great your abs are). As in rock, paper, scissors over stinky diapers, I usually apply the ‘two out of three rule’ for jewelry. (Though, pierced ears should always wear earrings.) Go for all three if the pieces are understated. And then we have fingers. Like children on a playground, rings should take turns and not go on all at once.
Jewelry should compliment an outfit not steal the show. Too many big pieces don’t make a statement – they make a billboard. Especially with earrings and necklaces in such close proximity. And big pieces will age you. Something my wrinkles are doing a great job of without any help. Remember that opposites attract: large in one place will be complimented by small in another. Big earrings, simple necklace. Chunky necklace, delicate earrings.
Generally speaking, my jewelry is simple. I have trays of fun jewelry – a la Target and even Sam Moon – but I don’t wear it often. Tops on my list of “must have” basics are: little hoops, humongo hoops, and biggish, round diamond (-ish) stud earrings. For the neck: a short gold or silver seed chain with modest-sized pendant – no dollar signs or clocks, please – but I love the Sundance catalog and local artisan, DromDesigns for necklaces. Clinking on the wrist: a few bangles or stretchy bracelets. Fingers: out here in the ‘burbs, likely a wedding ring and possibly a simple band for the right hand.
So, avoid looking like Charlie Brown’s Christmas Tree at Mardi Gras, and wear this, not that.

5 comments:

Allie said...

What a fun post! Very informative. I am so bad with jewelry that usually I forego it altogether. Thanks for the tips!

Kirsti said...

you are hilarious! I love the way you write/talk. It's very entertaining and also so educational! thanks :)

Jessie said...

Love it Rach!

Anna and Mauricio Dardano said...

who knew you were such a good writer? Love it-agree with it- hope people listen to it:)

April said...

I always finish reading your blog with a smile on my face! You rock! As for the fashion advice, perhaps you can write a column for the Jerusalem post... anything & everything goes here... actually, it makes for entertaining people-watching and it's comforting to know that nobody gives a rip what I look like.