Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why Calvin Will Collect Unemployment



Calvin is officially out of a job. His little, 2 year old responsibility in our house was to feed our dog, Berkeley. Today has been a sad day for our family and probably the beginning of a sad week: Berkeley was euthanized today. We pulled the kids out of school early after the vet called to inform us he was doing worse with treatment and that we should consider 'other options'. Like voluntarily, even if humanely, sentencing him to an unnatural death. Sigh. Ugh.
So we hauled the crew over to say our good-byes. We were the saddest little bunch you've ever seen...or heard (if you consider Mackey's WAILING...Mackey would make a fortune in a culture that pays for professional 'mourners'). Mackey said the sweetest little prayer for Berkeley...that Heavenly Father would take care of him and that he'd be brave and happy and we'd see him again someday.
I think I will cry about this for a while. More than I ever thought I would...grizzled vet that I think I am. And Calvin will have to find another job.

7 comments:

Allie said...

That is so sad! Sorry to hear it. I hope you can remember all of the good times. Or, if it makes it easier to move on, then just remember the bad times. I hope that unemployment pays well for Calvin...

Maria said...

Those darn pets seem to work their way into our hearts more than we think they do. Sorry for your loss. If Calvin needs another job, he can have our dog.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear.

Theresa

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry dear! I loved that little dog too...
Lori in VA

Laura said...

I am so sorry! Now I know why Lucy never made it to Activity Days. I hope everyone is doing OK.

Joyner Family said...

That is so sad! I am so sorry to hear that about Berkley. He was such a sweet dog. Your poor kids. That is very traumatic. My prayers are with you all!

alexandra said...

I am so sorry. We lost our wonderful dog last summer, too. It is so so hard. You never think that an animal will grow into your heart, but they do. Dogs just love and ask nothing in return. So sad.