Friday, May 16, 2008

What's Next? Nascar?

There has been one unintended consequence of having my most dear, gracious, and wonderful parents live close by: the molding of my children into...ahem...how do I put this delicately?...dollar store snobs. And not in a good way. More in a snobby preference for certain dollar stores over other dollar stores.
I didn't witness the account first hand, but my husband told me about his adventures in shopping for Mother's Day gifts at a (notice the choice of definite article - I'm not 'in the know' enough to specify) dollar store. Yeah, yeah, I know...we go all out. He further relayed how mortifying it was to take 3 kids (anywhere!) into the Dollar Tree only to have them pontificate on the finer points of the Dollar Store over the Dollar Tree. Loudly.

Of course, I still chuckle at the visual.

7 comments:

Allie said...

I have many fond Dollar Store memories, and it is true that not all dollar stores are created equal. When I was in high school I would buy my friends Christmas gifts from the Dollar Store. Some of my lucky friends scored such wonderful dollar store Christmas presents like safety goggles, venetian blind cleaners, a bucket and socks (the last two were practical gifts for my friend who threw up all over herself at a county carnival). Nothing says, "I care enough about you to stock your white elephant closet" quite like a gift from a dollar store.

Jessie said...

Love that Dollar store!
Hey go to Remi's blog...she wants to take it down...write a comment and tell her not to!
Miss you!

Jodie said...

My kids LOVE the dollar store. I have to admit, I don't even know if it's store or tree??? For my birthday I got hooked up with a graduation dog- because I went to college and a cool pair of flip flops! You never know what to expect, that's why it's so much fun. And the best part, it's easy to get rid of things when you know they only cost $1. ( things that they buy for themselves, not for me!)

Jodie said...

just checking in............where are you?

King Family said...

Love your blog Rachel!
See ya in Church on Sunday!
Laurel King

Jessie said...

Time for a new post girlfriend!!!
Need our Fisher Fix!

Anonymous said...

are you there rachel?