Thursday, May 8, 2008

Midnight Musings: The Company I've Kept, Helaman, and Robert Redford

It's midnight, and I've just finished showering - it's like that...and I'm waiting for the acne medicine and anti-wrinkle cream on my face to 'set' - also like that. Sigh.

And these are my musings as I enjoyed a few minutes of soaking solitude:

Company I've Kept: Before showering, I went a-blogger-stalking and caught up (in a digital, impersonal way) with some friends. I've benefitted tremendously from these women I've had the honor of associating with. For example, two VA girlfriends, Audrey and Samantha, just finished Race for the Cure in DC to support their (mid-30s) friend who's fighting breast cancer and their father/in-law who's battling throat cancer. Jodie is a woman who (cheerfully!) aerates her own lawn, with 3 kids, while her husband serves in Iraq. Women whose writing inspires me: Allie and Jana (look for a copy-cat post soon). And props to the other cool ladies out there, but hey, my shower was only so long.
(random ADD shift)
Helaman: I was listening to an interview with the authors of Do Hard Things and was so impressed that I ordered their book as soon as I got home. The gist of the book, written by teenagers, is that, culturally, not enough is expected of teenagers - and that needs to change. (Wow! Look at all those commas! Must, read, sentence, like, William Shatner, in, Star, Trek.) So, I got to thinking about Helaman and his 2000 warriors. How old was young - back in the day - 75-ish BC? I don't think it was 16, 17...I think it was 10, 11, and 12. Here's why I think so: the age of social (and possibly physical?) maturity and 'adulthood' was lower because of shorter life expectancies and the imperative (vs. optional!) need to repopulate. 'Young' would have been relative. A lot was expected of those boys - and they performed.
(random ADD shift)
Robert Redford: As many of you know, I have a total teacher crush on Mackey's preschool teacher. She's AWESOME. Today, we were talking about (facial) plastic surgery, particularly how unholy she thought it was...as she just turned 40 and has nary a wrinkle. And, in the past, as I have reflected on all of my aunties (well into their 70s and 80s) who STILL go under the knife in the name of youth, I, too, would have eschewed such practices and said, "suck it up buttercup! Age gracefully for goodness' sake!" However, as my 'laugh lines' are looking less like Jennifer Aniston's and more like Robert Redford's, they're no laughing matter. What's a girl - who has abused her skin with sunblock-free tanning, little sleep, water derived solely from caffeinated beverages, etc. - to do? And, lucky me, Strivectin makes me break out. What are the rest of you guys doing to keep your skin youthful??? Products? Facials? Dish!!!

Yes, these are the things that I think about as I shave my legs.

5 comments:

alexandra said...

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking action against aging skin. As with everything, moderation is the key. And there is a sliding scale to determine how appropriate taking action is. Consider:
1) how bad is the condition?
2) how invasive is the treatment?
3) how much does treatment cost?
4) how much disposable income do you have?

If you've got the money and are unhappy with your skin, what's to keep you away for those lasers!

I think the people who oppose cosmetic procedures tend to be blessed with great skin and don't understand how it feels to feel bad about yourself in this way. Of course, one can take the crusade way too far and at some point it is vain and silly to be fighting wrinkles using drastic means (like getting facelifts at 70).

But come one. We are in our 30s, and that is young. Sort of our last hoorah with youth. If you feel uncomfortable with your skin, what is the big deal in seeing a dermatologist about it?

Be graceful about the things you cannot easily control. Aging skin at our age is easily dealt with, and if you want to deal with it, do it! (no shame!)

Jessie said...

I have no problems what so ever with going to get a little botox when then time comes I feel I can't wait any longer (that day is coming soon) I have also done my fair share of sunworshipping...at least yours is sunless tanner.

Rachael said...

Sunless...not so much. As I laid out in my backyard today... I used to worship at the alter of the tanning bed - twice a day. Botox scares me. I'm gonna see what the laser deal is all about.

Jodie said...

Okay, I have seriously been overly concerned about my crows feet by my eyes! I have considered not smiling like Victoria Beckham, but it hasn't worked so well and it's too late anyways! My opinion (and you know I mean this!), if it bothers you why wait to do something about it.

Rachael said...

My question is: what to do? Which route to take? You ladies know me well enough that I don't do the research?! I wait for someone like Audrey or ReBecca or Dawn to tell me what to do...