Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Happy (or Sappy) Christmas

I will occasionally wax philosophic or political...depending on how often I get to the gym to watch the news. On this occasion of occasions, I would LOVE to share a letter that my brother wrote (for the congregation at church) for Christmas. Being the punk sister that I am, I would love to take credit for the insight and genius, but then I'd have to own all those grammatical errors, too. I just don't think the A/R - OCD part of me could do it...
Nativity Scene
The Sacrament of His Birth:
As the season of Christmas draws nearer we cannot help having it enter into our lives. Too often it makes its first appearance in the stores right next to the Halloween displays. I recall standing in Wal-Mart a month or so ago staring at a Jack-O-Lantern display collapsed against a display of Santa, and a heaviness seemed to rest upon me as I looked and could not find the Christ child.
Several weeks later as I settled into my car to drive to work the radio began to play my favorite Christmas Hymn, “Oh Holy Night,” and tears filled my eyes as the sweet spirit of the Christmas season seemed to rush in. On that short drive to work I reflected upon the power and impact music and song has upon each of us, especially during the Christmas season.
Profiteers and the politically correct can do all that they may to corrupt or take away every righteous tradition surrounding the concept and celebration of Christ’s birth. However, I believe it is music and song that does and will endure, lingering, remaining the constant, finding its way through an increasingly twisted society to rehearse and play it’s familiar melodies in our minds and in our hearts bringing us home and to our knees filling our hearts with gratitude.
What is it about music and song that fills our hearts so full of emotion? Is it the sound of the piano or other instruments with their cadence and beat; or could it be the words and meaning found in song; the voices in harmony? I don’t know the answer to these questions. But my heart tells me that we have all sung such songs with great passion and a full heart in a distant place prior to birth. So cherished are these veiled memories of celebration and praise that our hearts are quick to remember them; the familiar feelings of our heavenly home.
Which of us sang with the multitude of heavenly angels at our Saviors birth? Who of us witnessed that great and holy day? Perhaps we all did. Yes, I would like to think so. I would like to believe we were all there as witnesses and partakers of that holy event. It seems to be music and song that plays a critical part in holding dear in our hearts our Saviors birth and what it represents; “a thrill of hope,” a “law of love,” a “time foretold.” “And in His name all oppression shall cease,” and it was and is “light and life to all He brings.” For a “wondrous gift is given,” the “Son of God, love’s pure light,” “now in flesh appearing.” Echoing forward from that day is “a new and glorious morn,” “with the dawn of redeeming grace.” And to all He becomes joy; yes, “joy to [and for] the world.”
Our Savior was born, as all babies are, pure and innocent. But as a grown man He was laid upon the cross as a babe in the manger, pure and as innocent as He came, a sacrifice, a lamb, an offering for our sins. With no more clothing then when he entered this world he left. Do we not celebrate his birth for the life, teachings, sufferings and sacrifices that were His to offer?
Does not the spirit whisper to each of us the year through, bidding us to remember and to renew each week? As we rally around the sacrament table in music, song and prayer, that moment becomes more than a time of recommitting and affirming ones allegiance but a celebration; not only of His conquest over death and sin but of His birth as well. Just as a child so easily finds a way into our hearts, so may our hearts and minds be more opened to the Christ Child through what He represents; not only during this time of the year but always, as we are found weekly to be partakers of His life and His offering. We are all indebted to our Lord Jesus Christ for His willingness to come and take upon Himself flesh and be as man, almost. He is the Christ child; He is and can be found in our hearts though the Sacrament of His birth, keeping the spirit of Christmas with us throughout the year; if we will only embrace Him each week as the Christ Child as well as the Redeemer of Men. In His most sacred name, Jesus Christ, Amen.
Antonio Antonelli - November 2007

2 comments:

Allie said...

What a great talk. Maddie and I recently had a discussion about the importance of writing CHRISTmas instead of XMas. I think this is an appropriate moment to use the phrase, "Is nothing sacred anymore?"

said...

Very nice. It is truly amazing what the Christmas spirit can do. As I read, I related to hearing hymns of Christmas and tearing up from the feeling. Yes, I can get kinda sappy sometimes. Merry early Christmas to you all!