Saturday, August 11, 2007

McFishlays in San Antonio

Do you know what is great?








When you can go years without seeing people and pick up right where you left off. I LOVE that. We got to see our friends, Alex and Mary Kathryn (MK), and their 2 lovely little girls...(who aren't to be confused with my 2 handsome little boys dressed in drag - I kept trying to convey to Alex that this is what happens when you have a girl before a boy - that it's normal. Friends, please weigh in on this one). We had such a great time, and MK, like Angela, probably got more than an earful of girly gab; it's like I save up my words for a monthly download. You'd think a blog would be enough!
A few words about the McKinlays...they are friends of ours from our days in Rockville, MD http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Don. We haven't seen them in 3-4 years since they started residency in SA. As an aside, Alex can take sole responsibility for my over-use of the words 'legit' and 'how we roll'. In his defense, I think my then three year old Lucy introduced them to "ghetto" in specific reference to her stroller that fell apart in Italy.
They have two of the funniest kids ever. Halle, their two year old, loves to 'accessorize'; I didn't even see her whole face until we'd been there overnight because she loves her sunglasses. And her favorite phrase for most things? "No money." Isabel, who is four, is a character on par with her cohort, Mackey. Favorite moment: when she seranaded us to her rendition of "Ridin' Dirty".
We had a great time hangin' out, checking out SA, playing at the park, and eating at the "worst BBQ in Texas"...
And, since the McKinlay's didn't want to be shown up by the VanderWerkens after the Vanderblog, they got a sitter for Saturday night. We went to the River Walk and did a drive by at the Alamo. Most awkwardly memorable moments about the River Walk...we went to what one would (did you see all the 'w's in that phrase?) presume to be a premier restaurant on the Walk: The Iron Cactus http://www.ironcactus.com/san_antonio.asp. We waited so long for food - over an hour - that we actually considered walking out. Right as we were planning our exit strategy - cuz the dine and dash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dine_and_dash) is so naughty-naughty high school (I had too much guilt to ever do that anyway...), the food came with nary an explanation...and cold. Didn't these people know we had a sitter?! After working out what to say, Alex pulled the manager aside to discuss how the manager should compensate us for our time and work on our future business - with much aplumb and directness I might add. It gave us something to talk about and gave our SA trip some (more) character.

Jon with his hands full...

Mackey with his hands full...

Lucy with her mouth full...

It was a blast!!! We are very fortunate to have great friends in Texas as we are still trying to find our place here. Hope to hang again soon...PS: McKinlays...if I told you that the VanderWerkens were coming up next week, would it get you to come visit some time, too???

(picture NOT representative of trip...).

8 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

are you joking about the furniture for sale? samantha

Rachael said...

Um...no? I don't have a ton of emotional attachment to stuff...

Anonymous said...

If the Vandershlokins are going to be there next week, plan on us tomorrow! No disrespect to the Vanderwerkens. . .any good friends of the fishers must be cool people. We love you guys and miss you tons already. Very good summary of the weekend, although some highlights were conspicuously missing. . .Jon? If we could pack that much fun on one weekend, imagine how much fun we could have had over the past 3 years!! Even though you'll probably live in Dallas- at least you'll be close enough to afford more frequent get-togethers. Our van is dying for its first road trip. Hope to see you soon-

Love the McKinlays
PS-excellent shot of Halle- or should I say the Egyptian mummified and accesorized queen?

Rachael said...

Ok, what did I leave out??? It took me forever to write this - and now I've missed something...what am I missing??? Oh! The part where you and Jon took ALL of the kids (except screamer) to LTF?

Ben Burton said...

It looks like you've had a lot of fun touring Texas. I loved the pictures. Was the worst thing about the worst barbecue place? By the way, I am just noticing that the computer has me logged in as Ben. This is Allie.

The Carlsons said...

Rachael,

I love SA! It was one of my favorite places to visit in the U.S. I can't wait to see you next week!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog was awsome and it has all the important stuff. Alex was just joking about Jon and the "birds and the bees" discussion. Need I say more? I am so glad S.A. was one of your favorite places to visit. We loved having you here. We look forward to coming and checking out Dallas soon and of course to spend more time with some of our favorite people in the whole world.

Anonymous said...

I just realized that it was not you who said S.A was one of your favorite places to visit in the U.S. Well maybe it can be one of yours too.