Monday, October 5, 2009

Cancer Skinny or...My Gray's Anatomy


As you may or may not know, I just ran the Odessa marathon to qualify for the Boston marathon coming up in April. During training, I lost some weight. Perhaps even a little more than I would have liked. No big deal...how hard is it to put on weight (as I'm eating a residual, road-trip Pop-Tart)?
So, fast forward to the gym today where I see a friend (who shall remain nameless because he felt like a total heel for saying this in the first place) who I hadn't seen in a month or two. The first thing he says to me is: "You're so skinny! Do you have cancer or something? You're like cancer skinny!" So, I respond back: "Well, I might! I'm going in to find out in a couple of weeks!" He's looking at me as if he doesn't know whether or not to take me seriously. Cuz, really? Who jokes about stuff like that? Normally I would; but today I wasn't.
So many of my posts have been so LAME lately. In fact, I had to go back to the Knife Story for a good laugh. Sigh. Well, this one won't be much funnier.
In the spirit of full-disclosure...what else would you expect?...I have been to a LOT of doctors lately. Of the 'elective' variety. Do you know how ODD it is to finish a plastic surgeon's sentence for him? I remember after my first research visit (research into the heart of a Dallas woman's psyche), I posted about weighing the costs of a total upgrade/mommy make-over against a cute little car. That was just the beginning...and the summation of a like appointment a few weeks ago.
I recently had an appointment of a different sort. Less elective and more compulsory. There's a family history of colon and related cancers in my family, but I'm too young (wow...THAT'S surreal to say with all the wrinkles furrowing into my skin!!!) for routine testing. I was gonna 'game' the system by looking up the symptoms of the disease to mention to the doctor to cover the cost of the test. I know, I know. Very naughty. Gulp. After a little more reading, there was less 'gaming' involved than I'd thought. On the bright side, the doctor was RIDICULOUSLY cool about noting the appropriate symptoms for insurance to cover costs so I won't have to.
Yada yada yada...I find out in a couple of weeks. But seriously? There's NO USE in worrying, right? So...bring on some new jeans in a smaller size!!!

No comments: