Sunday, June 28, 2009

I CANNOT Believe My Kids




The fruit of MY loins? Not with stuff this good.
So, we are completing the 3rd week of our summer vacation. As you can imagine, it has been busy and fun and relaxing and frought with peril. The froughtness with peril came to a proverbial head at our neighborhood pool the other day. We had met the Hawkins there to swim, and my kids just weren't groovin. We had to leave the pool much earlier than anticipated as well as listen to my pontificating on the finer points of civility with the final nail being an early bedtime for all. In the aftermath, our family had a calm discussion about what we can each and all work on to prevent further summertime peril. Up to and including letting my sleep in past 6 am.
Fast forward to the next day. I woke up (early) to them telling me that they were going to let me sleep in. Ok. 9 am I roll back out of bed. Nice. As were pulling out of the garage, I commented about how we'd forgotten family prayer that morning. Lucy says: "We didn't! Mackey and I had our own morning prayer and read in the scriptures together this morning." Me (cough...sputter). Lucy: "We figured out Operation Truce and how we can get along better and help you more." Me (more cough and sputter). So far, so good. Squabbles are handled more efficiently and calmly. There has been a better spirit in our home. Wow. All I can say is "Wow".
Which brings me to my next bragging point. Mackey lost his first tooth tonight with a babysitter while Jon and I were out on a date! She texted me about the whole thing! So we got home, and Jon went up to make sure the toothfairy was alive and kickin (nod, nod, wink, wink)...and lo and behold, of her own accord, LUCY HAD PUT $2.50 UNDER HIS PILLOW. What?! What to my wondering eyes should appear but a brother and sister who've grown to endear. Lucy is a sweet girl, with a 3rd grade big sister streak, but that has GOT to be the most tender thing I've ever seen. I am just so proud of them!!!

5 comments:

Allie said...

I'm jealous of the whole thing. If your kids would like to teach a seminar on positive sibling relationships let me know and I'll sign my kids up.

We're living life day to day in sibling survival mode and we've only had one full week of summer break.

Heidi said...

I'd like to you to come rain down some Fisher-hell on my kids!

Rachael said...

You have to notice 2 things about my post:
1. I didn't mention anything about longevity studies. So...I'm not holding my breath over here.
2. Calvin is in no way, shape, or form mentioned in all this kumbayah. He is like a Gremlin. Cute and cuddly...right up until when he's NOT. And since he's the 'hell-rainer', I'm not sure you want that kind of influence.

Jessie said...

oh man how cute is that!!!!

Laura said...

Lucy needs to teach Hannah a thing or two. Maybe she can teach at the next Activity Days!