Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mom Dys



We are visiting Austin, TX for part of our Spring ‘Break’ road trip 2008. We’re tagging along while Jon does some work down here, so we’re enjoying Jon’s expense account. Tonight, since we couldn’t do an aforementioned-to-the-kids activity of going to the Bat Bridge, we took them to Red Robin. By this time of night, Mackey’s NAUGHTY, NO BOUNDARIES, SHOW ON THE ROAD (this is why I NEVER say that I’m vacationing when I have kids with me!!!) behavior deprived him of his treat and dessert privileges…among other things. Lucy, on the other hand having earned an ‘extra’ today, got to have dessert, and we made sure she had it in spades. She got the Mudslide all to herself (no mom tax even!). Midway through dessert, I had to take Calvin out to roam before we got kicked out.
Fast forward.
At the end of the night when we say family prayers, our family also does compliments and gratitude. Tonight, after everyone said one thing that they were grateful for, Mackey was in charge of giving each member of the family – including himself – a compliment. He started with Lucy:
Mackey: Lucy, I’d like to compliment you on giving me some of your dessert.
(Funny look from me…lots of sputtering and ‘esplaining to do’ from Lucy and Jon.)
Mackey: Daddy, I’d like to compliment you for moving the plate closer to me and saying it was okay.
(More feigned looks from me and ‘esplaining to do’ from the peanut gallery.)
Mackey: Mommy, I’d like to compliment you on not being there to say ‘no’.
(Chagrinned Mommy face.)

4 comments:

Allie said...

That is hilarious. We were at Red Robin last night and I saw that mud pie on the picture in the menu looked enormous! Your kids crack me up.

Jason said...

Way to put your thing down!

Err, wait....

Jessie said...

Rach your kids are so funny!
No I have no clue about who that is.
Were you having flashbacks when you just looked at the pic on my blog with some of the stuff in the backround????
Makes me think of you often! :)

Rachael said...

Yes, total flashbacks. I think of you all the time!!! Just come to visit TX. It's not scary at all. In fact, I've seen more gunracks in VA than in (this part of) Texas.